[Idle-dev] KeyConfig, KeyBinding and other related issues.

Tal Einat taleinat at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 00:20:34 CEST 2014

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 10:10 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> We should make the 'officially approved' versions be the ones produced by
> the basic mode of the key dialog: Control/Alt/Meta-Key-alpha and
> Control/Alt/Meta-Shift-Key-Alpha. (Or we should change what basic mode
> produces.) Not needing the alternate binding versions will eliminate the
> need to use advanced mode to produce alternate binding versions.

What about Ctrl-Alt-Key-Alpha or even Ctrl-Alt-Shift-Key-Alpha? Even
if there are now such bindings right now, they should be possible to
enter via the simple key binding dialog, and they should be considered
valid.

> There should be a new patch removing *all* the extraneous definitions, not
> just the new ones. Write a program to remove Control/Alt/Meta-Key-Alpha and
> ()-Shift-Key-alpha. (You could do the few latter forms by hand if you
> prefer).

Indeed. We'll need to manually review this by hand, but it might be
better to do most of this automatically to reduce the risk of human
error. Possibly a few good search/replace in an editor could do the
trick.

> 2. Runtime: I would be inclined to accept without comment (message box).
> However, I do not know how 3rd party extensions get 'installed'.

What do you mean "installed"? I know a lot about the extension
mechanism and will happily help here.

- Tal Einat