[Idle-dev] IDLE Line numbering initial plan

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Jun 16 04:18:00 CEST 2014

On 6/15/2014 6:06 PM, Tal Einat wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 5:50 PM, Saimadhav Heblikar
> <saimadhavheblikar at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> An open issue for this topic[1].
>>
>> This email details how I want to add line numbering to IDLE. The mock is at
>> [2]
>>
>> This will be only added to EditorWindow and OutputWindow.

Since there may be more EditorWindow subclasses, it should be selectable.

> I'm guessing this is based largely on the code here, right?
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16369470/tkinter-adding-line-number-to-text-widget
>
> That does look like a very robust approach.

I will try to read that.

> In this case, however, I think you should put these in a new file.
> This code could be useful for other projects as well, and it will be
> easier for them to find the code an reuse it if it is in a file of its
> own.

If possible, try to segregate idle independent code from idle dependent
code. Code used by anything other than Idle and extensions should be in
tkinter package. (This is part of and implied by PEP 434.)

--
Terry Jan Reedy