[Idle-dev] Fwd: Idle working on OS 10.9.2?

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Tue May 6 21:15:26 CEST 2014

In article
<76CC1763-0970-40FA-8A53-50D79E659C41 at birdlandobservatory.net>,
 birdlandbill <billperkins at birdlandobservatory.net> wrote:
> Begin forwarded message:
> > From: birdlandbill <billperkins at birdlandobservatory.net>
> > Subject: Idle working on OS 10.9.2?
> > Date: March 29, 2014 at 4:38:28 PM CDT
> > To: idle-dev at python.ord
> >
> > It isn't on my computer. Worked on 10.8.5, but haven't been successful in
> > getting Idle 2.7.6 working on two different Macs with 10.9.2. Can start
> > python 2.7.6 in terminal window by typing python from the home directory.
> > Entering idle at the home directory results in
> >
> > python version 2.7.6 can't run /usr/bin/idle. Try the alternative(s):
> > /usr/bin/idle2.7 (uses python 2.7)
> >
> > /usr/bin/idle2.7 exists in /usr/bin as does /usr/bin/idle
> >
> > Idle 2.7.6 exists in the Applications folder, but does not execute when
> > selected.
> >
> > As an experiment, I downloaded Python 3.4. I can launch it from the version
> > appropriate Idle file in the Applications folder. I was able to do this
> > with Idle 2.7.6 in OS 10.8.5.
> >
> > Just wondering if anyone has been able to run Idle 2.7.6 on OS 10.9.2 and,
> > if not, how that might be accomplished.

Considering that this post just appeared (lost in transit?), I hope
you've solved the problem by now but, if not, it is certainly possible
to run IDLE on OS X 10.9.2 from the Python 2.7.6 installers provided by
python.org.  Make sure you follow the instructions to also install an
up-to-date ActiveTcl 8.5.15, if possible.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org