[Idle-dev] put idle on github?

Sean Felipe Wolfe ether.joe at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 00:22:35 CEST 2015

Hello IDLE-ers,

I'm considering putting a copy of the idle code on github, to leverage
the excellent tools that platform provides and be able to incorporate
various fixes that have been discussed but not implemented in the
standard distribution as of yet.

The Python GPL license is pretty simple and from my reading, grants
the ability to do this as long as I include a copyright notice.

A few questions then:
a) does anybody think it's illegal to do ?
b) would it help make idle improvements easier to access ?
c) is there a better platform, ie. launchpad or bitbucket?

I have used bitbucket for pygame, and although the toolset isn't as
easy to use, maybe it makes sense.

I'm curious to hear what you all think about this.

--
A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write,
if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself.