[Idle-dev] IDLE and ttk

Mark Roseman mark at markroseman.com
Wed Jul 29 00:03:40 CEST 2015

On Jul 28, 2015, at 2:07 PM, phil jones <interstar at gmail.com> wrote:
> One question would be is the new Tk you talk about on your site the one which is now bundled with the standard Python distro? And is that what Tkinter now talks to by default?

It’s not so new (Tk 8.5.0 was released in 2007). The standard Python Windows distribution comes with Tcl/Tk 8.6.1, Mac doesn’t include it (need to install ActiveTcl separately), and the source tarball doesn’t include it. I don’t know of any recent Linux distros that don’t package 8.5.x or 8.6.x with their Python/tkinter packages. Tkinter talks to (I believe) 8.4.x and up.

Mark