[Idle-dev] Updates to the IDLE Dev Guide

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Sat May 9 20:33:30 CEST 2015

On 5/9/15 1:56 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:
> Kevin, it looks like tcl.tk only distributes 8.5 and 8.6.  How long
> has it been since 8.4 was distributed?  I am wondering how long
> tkinter should keep code for pre 8.5.

8.4 was EOL'ed a year or two ago. The last release was (I think) 8.4.20.

> Also, does 8.6.4 have any new features versus 8.6.0, or just bug
> fixes, as with Python?

In terms of language design, no new features (an object system and
coroutines were major features with 8.6.0 in Tcl). The Windows and X11
versions of Tk have had minor updates  /  bug fixes only, I believe.

Because it has never been very stable, the Mac port of Tk has remained
under heavy development even with minor point releases (Marc Culler,
developer of the Python scientific visualizer SnapPy, has contributed
many patches, and I have also done a lot of work). It remains based on
Cocoa, but a lot of under-the-hood engineering has taken place to firm
up the event loop and simplify drawing of widgets with a lower-level
API. These changes will be present in 8.6.5, which I think will be the
first truly stable version of Tk since it was ported to Cocoa.

--Kevin

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin/Mobile Code by Kevin