[Idle-dev] Running beginner Pythons

Aivar Annamaa aivar.annamaa at ut.ee
Thu Nov 12 06:05:51 EST 2015

Hi!

Maybe we should add a different interface for constructing standard
Python programs?

Grace (http://gracelang.org/applications/) is a textual language meant
for learning programs and they built a Scratch-like editor for
constructing Grace programs
(http://homepages.ecs.vuw.ac.nz/~mwh/minigrace/tiled ,
http://homepages.ecs.vuw.ac.nz/~mwh/vissoft2014.pdf)

Similar thing could be done for Python. In fact, some of my students
have already created a prototype: https://github.com/taivop/Monty

I have plans to integrate this into Thonny, a Python IDE meant for
beginners (http://thonny.cs.ut.ee/ ,
http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2729094.2754849&coll=DL&dl=GUIDE&CFID=729521140&CFTOKEN=81247902).
We recently used it successfully for teaching 1000 learners in a MOOC
organized by University of Tartu.

I agree with Serhiy that IDLE is not best place for such experiments.
Thonny, on the other hand is built specifically for beginners and we
welcome all kinds of new ideas. There is a plugin API available (not
documented yet, but I'll get to it very soon).

best regards,
Aivar