[Idle-dev] Forking Idle - translating menus, etc.

Andre Roberge andre.roberge at gmail.com
Thu May 23 07:19:27 EDT 2019

Hi,

I'm currently working on an experimental fork of Idle. One of the many
things I plan to do is to see if I can have translatable menus to make it
more user-friendly for international users.  If there is interest, this
could presumably be back-ported to Idle. [Most other features I have
planned would not be relevant for Idle.] My plan is to use the standard
gettext approach, and have an additional language selector menu, so that
the language used for the UI can be changed while Idle is running.

I have at least one and possibly three questions related to this:

1. If I were to implement this in my fork, would there be some interest in
back-porting this to Idle?

If the answer is no, there is no need to read further.

- - -

As I understand, the role of the underscore preceding a letter, such
as  ("Save _As...", "<<save-window-as-file>>"),  is to provide a quick menu
navigation using only the keyboard correct, and is only available in
Windows (and Linux?) but not on MacOS.   For example, typing in succession
"Alt", "o", "o", "enter" opens the Options menu.  I noticed that a few
items, such as Edit -> Find in files..., do not appear to be reachable in
this way (at least, not without using the arrow keys).

2. Assuming that the answer to question 1 is "yes", and that my
understanding of the role of the underscores is correct, is the quick
navigation considered an essential feature, and would have to be retained
in an "international" version of Idle?

- - -
Most menu items, but not all, have associated to them some keyboard
shortcuts. As I have only experience working in French and English, these
keyboard shortcuts do not need to be changed. However, they would need to
be changed for languages which do not include a subset of the ASCII
characters ... and I have no idea at the moment how to deal with this and
may end up not trying to support it in my fork.

3. Assuming that the answer to question 1 is "yes", would supporting
localized keyboard shortcuts be required for back-porting the work I do in
my fork into Idle?

Thanks,

André Roberge