[IMAGE-SIG] Problem with PIL 0.3a1 and Grail

Samuel Villamonte samuelv@hotmail.com
Thu, 07 Aug 1997 16:43:55 PDT

Hello:
I don't know if this has been reported before, but in my PC the new PIL
release seems to crash my copy of Grail 0.3 final. i think the problem
is in the module AsyncImage.py of the Grail distribution, which tries to
find out if PIL is available and works with Tk, creating an PhotoImage;
look here,

--extract from AsyncImage.py, lines 27-37:

    import Image
    import ImageTk
    # Now check the integration with Tk:
    try:
	ImageTk.PhotoImage(Image.new("L", (1, 1)))
    except TclError:
	use_pil = 0
    else:
	import ImageDraw
	PILPhotoImage = ImageTk.PhotoImage
	use_pil = 1

Maybe the problem is that the code doesn't specifies the parent frame it
should be on, and this interferes with the new features of ImageTk in
PIL 0.3. Another reason could be that the test image object should be
created a "bit" earlier before attaching it to the frame, don't know
much about that. The thing is that it seemed to work fine with PIL 0.2b4
and now it doesn't.

And another question that must have been answered before: well..., Who
is Lena? Just curious :)

Samuel Villamonte
samuelv@hotmail.com