[Fwd: [IMAGE-SIG] broken ImageFont?]

Anthony Baxter Anthony Baxter <arb@connect.com.au>
Tue, 19 Aug 1997 20:26:09 +1000

>>> "Fredrik Lundh" wrote
> The fstobdf utility uses an X11 font server (not a plain X11 display
> server). It's likely that you don't have a font server running on your
> host. If I remember correctly, the font server is called "fs". Check
> the man page and see if you can get that one running.

You can also use various tools to convert whatever your native X11
fonts are to bdf, without needing a fontserver. On openwindows, you
can use makebdf or convertfont. There's similar tools with most X11
distributions (often called pcftobdf or something similar).

Fonts usually live somewhere like $(X11HOME)/lib/X11/fonts/, where
X11HOME is /usr/openwin, /usr/X11R6, or similar.

On a related note, has anyone else noticed bdf2pil likes to chop off the
bottom of descenders? (eg j,g,y,q,p - particularly noticable with j and g).

Anthony

IMAGE-SIG - SIG on Image Processing with Python

send messages to: image-sig@python.org
administrivia to: image-sig-request@python.org