[PYTHON IMAGE-SIG] problems compiling PIL under Linux...

Ing. Antonio Lopez Arredondo - CECAL - alopeza@fing.edu.uy
Mon, 13 Jan 1997 10:53:01 +0300

Hello !

I think that the possibility of doing image processing under Python
is a great idea, and I want to do it in my installation here at the
University of uruguay. I am running Linux 1.2.13 in a typical
installation (nothing strange) but I have installed Python in a non
standard location: /home/alopez/python-1.4 (not in /usr/local).
In this scheme, I could not recompile Python in order to have PIL
statically loaded.

I succesfuly compiled de Imaging library, but I cannot add it
as a module to the python interpreter; I follow the instructions
and I cannot skip step 5:

> 5. Go to the Imaging subdirectory in your Extensions directory.  Copy
>    Setup.in to Setup.  If you have the IJG JPEG library, or wish to
>    install Python in a non-standard place, you must edit the file
>   according to the instructions in it.

I always get the same error message from the command
  "make -f Makefile.pre.in Makefile installdir=/home/internet/Python-1.4" :

make: *** No rule to make target `/home/internet/Python-1.4/lib/python/lib/Makefile', needed by `sedscript'.  Stop.

So my question is: how should I modify the Setup file of the
Imaging Library, to add it as a statically linked module to
a Python interpreter that was compiled at the directory
/home/internet/Python-1.4 ?

Also, is there available anywhere a binary distribution for Linux ?

Thanks in advance,
		antonio.

Antonio Lopez Arredondo
Centro de Calculo - Facultad de Ingenieria - Universidad de la Republica
Julio Herrera y Reissig 565, (11300) Montevideo URUGUAY
Phone: +598 2 714229                          Email: alopeza@fing.edu.uy
FAX  : +598 2 715446               URL : http://www.fing.edu.uy/~alopeza

IMAGE-SIG - SIG on Image Processing with Python

send messages to: image-sig@python.org
administrivia to: image-sig-request@python.org