[PYTHON IMAGE-SIG] new decoders?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik_lundh@ivab.se
Sat, 25 Jan 1997 15:59:09 +0100

> I'm curious to know the prognosis for new decoders in PIL. In my
> case, it would be helpful to have a wider range of tiff decoders,
> such as Group 3 or 4 Fax. How would something like this get added?
> Patches, shareware, freeware versions, /F writes it himself? I
> realize there was a specific decision not to use the tiff library,
> but can we "borrow" their codecs?

I plan to provide a standard way to hook libtiff and other file based
extension libraries into PIL, in order to make things easier for those
working with TIFF G3/G4.

A native Huffman/G3/G4 decoder is on the list, but not before 0.2
final.

Cheers	/F

PS. FWIW, the various CCITT flavours are the only TIFF 6.0 codecs that
PIL doesn't yet support.  (TIFF/ZIP will be supported by 0.2 final)

IMAGE-SIG - SIG on Image Processing with Python

send messages to: image-sig@python.org
administrivia to: image-sig-request@python.org