[Image-SIG] Re: Processed: oops

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 18:57:03 +0200

Lalo Martins <lalo@webcom.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 10, 1999 at 10:12:05PM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
> > Why do you reopen this bug without giving any reasons? This package
> > depends on tk8.0, so it's very meaningful to make it depend on
> > python-tk as well.
>
> Sorry, I gave the reasons on a separate message so that they
> stay on the archive. No offense to you; basically the mistake of
> depending on tk is no longer yours, but upstream. It still
> _shouldn't_ depend on Tk - drawing images on X is only one of
> the many things it can do.

PIL doesn't depend on Tcl/Tk anymore than it
depends on the JPEG library or the Win32 API.
There's auto configuration stuff in there to
make sure the core library is built in the right
way, but the Python bindings (the _imaging
module) may still need some manual tweaks.

see Setup.in for details.

besides from that, it would help if you didn't
assume that everyone is writing code in (or
for) exactly the same environment as you
are (what bug? what archive? what mistake?)

</F>