[Image-SIG] PIL and PIL Plus

Bob Klimek robert.klimek@grc.nasa.gov
Tue, 07 Dec 1999 09:25:21 -0500

Hello Fredrik,

I played around with PIL last few days and I really like it. But I found
it lacking some imaging operations which I will need on my next project,
such as some morphological operations. So I'm thinking about writing
them my self and then contributing them to the PIL package. However, I
have a few questions. Some of the questions arise from the apparent
conflict of interest between the free PIL and the PIL Plus which is not
free.

1. What happens if I contribute some imaging operations which you are
planning to add the PIL Plus library in the near future? Will you still
add them to free PIL?

2. What happens if I contribute some imaging operations which are
already in the PIL Plus library? Will you still add them to free PIL?

PIL Plus Questions

3. I am interested in using PIL with AVI files using either MJPEG,
INDEO, or DV codec. Any support for that in the PIL Plus package?

4. PIL Plus mentions support for the Matrox framegrabber. Will it be
possible to grab frames from the framegrabber?  How about display of
live video in a window or do you use a secondary monitor to display
video?

Take Care
Bob

--