[Image-SIG] now is the time...

Bernhard Herzog herzog@online.de
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 14:41:26 +0100

> so now is the right time to speak up if there's any-
> thing in the current beta that's bothering you.

What I'd like to see in the final version of PIL is a standard way to
install the C headerfiles. I'd suggest to put them into a subdirectory
where the standard Python headers are installed (e.g.
/usr/local/include/python1.5/Extensions/).

The maintainer of the debian PIL package seems to install the
headerfiles directly in /usr/include/python1.5 (at least that's what one
Sketch user told me about a debian 2.1 beta).

Sketch would be much easier to configure if this were implemented. A
very simple 'implementation' would be to add some notes to this effect
to the installation instructions in the README.

The files Sketch needs are Imaging.h ImConfig.h and ImPlatform.h from
the libImaging subdirectory.

Other third party C-modules that have to access PIL images would also
benefit from this.

This issue of installing headerfiles for C-modules is not just limited
to PIL. Perhaps this should also be posted to the newsgroup and/or the
distutils SIG.

	  Bernhard