[Image-SIG] Unsuccessful installation
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 15:12:37 +0100 (CET)
I was unsuccessful in my atempt to install the Python Imaging Library 1.0
After unpacking the PIL distribution and building it '$ make check' worked
O.K. but I got the following message after '$ make -f Makefile.pre.in
-m Makefile.pre -c /u/udrea/lib/python1.5/config/config.c.in
Setup -n /u/udrea/lib/python1.5/config/Setup
bad word libImaging/libImaging.a*noobjects* in _imaging _imaging.c
decode.c encode.c map.c display.c path.c -IlibImaging
make: *** [Makefile] Error 1
make: Leaving directory
make: *** [boot] Error 2
(There was also something before, but I think that the error is announced
I have to mention the following:
1. My Python/Extensions directory is /u/udrea/Python-1.5.1/Extensions
(This directory didn't exist when I unpacked the Python distribution, I
2. The Python binary is in /u/udrea/bin and is called python1.5
3. Other Python related files are in /u/udrea/lib/python1.5 and
4. I made the following changes in Makefile.pre.in:
'installdir= /usr/local' changed to 'installdir= /u/udrea'
'TARGET= python' changed to 'TARGET= python1.5'
'PYTHON= python' changed to 'PYTHON= python1.5'
'prefix= /usr/local' changed to 'prefix= /u/udrea'
5. I was unable to figure out what the following in the
Makefile.pre.in realy means:
# These two variables can be set in Setup to merge extensions.
# See example
Where is 'example' ? What are these variables controlling ?
Do I have to give them special values to be able to install the library ?
If so, what are these values ?
6. I am working on a Linux-machine with a Debian distribution, kernel
2.0.36. The system administrator is not my friend.