[Image-SIG] Problems installing PIL

Michelle Mills Strout mstrout@ucsd.edu
Thu, 6 May 1999 11:36:47 -0700 (PDT)

I have attempted to install both releases of PIL, 0.2b4 and 0.2b3.  I am
attempting to install on a Linux system.  I get an error in the
./configure script for the libImaging directory.  Specifically I get the
following output:

alicatado % ./configure
checking for --without-gcc... no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for ar... ar
checking MACHDEP... linux2
checking for -ljpeg... no
checking for -lmpeg... no
checking for -lz... yes
checking whether cross-compiling... yes
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for inline... inline
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... no
checking size of char... configure: error: can not run test program while
cross compiling

I do have Python installed in a non-standard directory.  Do I need to call
./configure with --prefix?  If so what directory in the install hierarchy
should I specify?

Thanks for any assistance,
Michelle