[Image-SIG] trouble using PIL on windows

Reza Habib reza@psych.utoronto.ca
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 09:16:36 -0500

Hi.  Still no luck.  Neither changing the name to _imaging.pyd or moving the
file to the root python directory allowed it to be loaded, always producing
the same error (see below).  This is quite strange since I have no trouble
tkinter).  Could there be files missing in the windows distribution of PIL -
I downloaded this file:  pil-win32-991101.zip.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Reza

-----Original Message-----
From: image-sig-admin@python.org [mailto:image-sig-admin@python.org]On
Behalf Of Georg Mischler
Sent: Tuesday, February 29, 2000 8:32 AM
To: image-sig@python.org
Subject: RE: [Image-SIG] trouble using PIL on windows

Reza Habib wrote:

> Hi.  Thanks for the advice.  I put the _imaging.dll in the python root
> directory (i.e. d:\python).  It still won't load.  When I type:
>
> import _imaging
>
> I get the following error:
>
> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "<interactive input>", line 1, in ?
> ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.
>
> When I do sys.path however, it lists d:\python as being part of the python
> search path.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks again.

You could try renaming it to _imaging.pyd. I'm not quite
sure if I fully understand when Python looks for *.dll and
when for *.pyd files, but the latter is definitively a
convention for C-extensions and works for me with _imaging.

-schorsch

Georg Mischler  --  simulations developer  --  schorsch at schorsch.com
+schorsch.com+  --  lighting design tools  --  http://www.schorsch.com/