[Image-SIG] Pil format fonts use...

Kevin Cazabon KCAZA@cymbolic.com
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 11:31:23 -0800

Astronomics is one application for PIL, but I'm using it for many other purposes
(mostly personal).  I work for a company called Cymbolic Sciences, and we produce
high resolution laser imaging devices that output to photographic film or paper (up
to 4 feet by 8 feet).

I'm using PIL to create everything from 1.4 GB size 3-D lenticular images to pacakge
prints for portrait labs.  Most of the work I'm doing is "proof of concept" or
prototyping, but it's nice to be able to show good quality images and full-featured
software.

For this kind of work, PIL is perfect... the last thing I want to do is write a C
library to do all the functions readily available in PIL already.  Seeing as I use
Python for the main program usually anyways, it makes sense.

Could you not use text to label your images?  I'm sure there's many applications for
features such as text addition, but I've had difficulty in getting it to work due to
limited font types, and how low-res the available fonts are.  For my application, I
need fonts that are up to 300 or 400 ppi... not something you'd find on an X-Windows
system for sure (which is what most of the BDF fonts are for).

Kevin.

Kevin said:

> As I mentioned earlier in the week, I wish to create a library of
> high-resolution PIL fonts for the PIL world to use.

just out of curiousity, for what purpose would these fonts serve PIL
users? right now i use PIL for astro image processing, and i am
usually not allowed to add lettering to the Jupiter Ring System  :-)

so what do other people using image proc tools need with good font
support under PIL? are people using PIL for graphics production?
adding text to images as i might do in a Gimp or PhotoShop??

les 'just curious' schaffer