[Image-SIG] Pil format fonts use...

Kingsley Turner krt@krt.com.au
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 07:50:55 +1100

> Subject: [Image-SIG] Pil format fonts use...
> Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 14:03:36 -0500 (EST)
> From: Les Schaffer <godzilla@netmeg.net>
> To: image-sig@python.org
>
> Kevin said:
>
> > As I mentioned earlier in the week, I wish to create a library of
> > high-resolution PIL fonts for the PIL world to use.
>
> just out of curiousity, for what purpose would these fonts serve PIL
> users? right now i use PIL for astro image processing, and i am
> usually not allowed to add lettering to the Jupiter Ring System  :-)
>
> so what do other people using image proc tools need with good font
> support under PIL? are people using PIL for graphics production?
> adding text to images as i might do in a Gimp or PhotoShop??
>
> les 'just curious' schaffer

I use PIL to place a watermark on the bottom of images that
are added to our website (see .sig).

Using Python http upload, we grab an image, save an original,
then use PIL to scale it (down) to a reasonable size (450^2),
then make a thumbnail of this (about 200^2). The 450 is blended
with an image of the words 'Mad Dogs Breakfast' .  The results
are varying- on some images it looks great, other times it looks
crap (impossible to read).

It would be great to just write it there, and then I could
select a good contrasting grey scale to write it with, rather
than just using grey 50% + some alpha.  I'm not sure if I would vary
the opacity this time though.

cheers,
-kt

Here's some examples of it - and a shameful plug of my website... :)

Good example:
http://maddogsbreakfast.com/mdb/gui/art/art42c_exp.shtml

OK example:
http://maddogsbreakfast.com/mdb/gui/art/art34c_exp.shtml