[Image-SIG] Pil format fonts use...

kcazabon kcazabon" <kcazabon@home.com
Sat, 18 Mar 2000 22:58:41 -0800

In any case, it seems like I have the compatibility problems I've been
experiencing under control.  I have a program on order that can rasterize
most Windows fonts to BDF format, and I've 'hobbled' Fred's original
BdfFontFile.py to be compatible with them (even though they're missing some
of the data in a 'full' BDF font).

I'll put together a few packages of fonts, and let everyone know where they
can be found.  I'll have to do a little investigation into copyrights on the
fonts I provide first though... q:[

Out of curiosity, what resolutions are useful to all those on this list that
would have need of such ready-made PIL fonts?  I need fairly high res files,
say 300-400 pixels/inch, but what about everyone else?  Most screen fonts
are 72 or 100dpi, but they look like garbage when printed on a good quality
printer...

It shouldn't be hard to put together 72, 100, 200, 250, 300, 305, 400, 406
ppi packages (each separate), but are there any 'common' res's that I'm
missing?  (The 305 and 406 are for my needs...)  It seems that I start to
blow things up (i.e. crash...) when I go above 72 points at 406dpi...  q:]

Kevin Cazabon