[Image-SIG] extracting frame from movie?

Jason Cunliffe jasonic@nomadicsltd.com
Sat, 14 Apr 2001 13:25:06 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Giulio Borrini - Netbuilder" <borrini@netbuilder.it>

> is it possibile with pil or any other lib to extract a frame from an avi
> movie?
> i need it to make a preview of some movies.

Giulio

How did you solve your problme?

I need to do the same thing, also for Quicktime movies. Has anyone done this
already or can point to useful [cross-platform] py-friendly tools.

The immediate application we are developnig is non-profit community web site
where people [mostly artists/filmmakers] upload all sorts of media. The site
uses Zope which has a number of Zope plugins ['Products'] using PIL to do
some nice server side image automatic manipulation. These are being extended
ni intersting ways as demadn grows for a flexible servers-side image
processing toolset. Already It's wonderful what PIL offers. Thanks! :-)

But what has not been met yet afaik, is the strong demand is for thumnailing
Quicktime and Avi files, preferably with option to set some 'keyframe'
params so that people may upload digital movies, and thereby automagically
generate a sequence of thumbnails with timestamp metadata also.

any ideas?

thanks
- Jason
Jason CUNLIFFE = NOMADICS['Interactive Art and Technology']