[Image-SIG] PIL compile error

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 23:18:10 +0100

William Baxter wrote:

> Under "Build instructions for UNIX", I got up to step 8, "make", which
> generated the message:
>
> cc-1136 cc: ERROR File = ./Tk/tkImaging.c, Line = 77
>   Too many arguments in function call.
>
>       photo = Tk_FindPhoto(interp, argv[1]);
>                                    ^
> 1 error detected in the compilation of "./Tk/tkImaging.c".
> *** Error code 2 (bu21)

looks like you're using a really old version of Tk.

either upgrade Tk, or modify the offending line to match
what Tk wants (iirc, removing the interp argument should
help).

> When I run python, I can import _imaging, but not Image:
>
> Python 2.0 (#5, Oct 24 2000, 09:51:57) [C] on irix6
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> ImportError: No module named Image

that's an installation problem. make sure that the PIL directory
is in the Python path, or that you have a PIL.pth file pointing to
the PIL directory in the lib/site-packages directory.

</F>