[Image-SIG] Image quality when resizing

Chuck Esterbrook echuck@mindspring.com
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 11:01:53 -0500

Hi,

I'm using PIL 1.1.1 on Linux Mandrake 7.0 (equiv to RedHat 6.2) with Py 1.5.2.

I notice that when I resize() photographic images to be smaller, the
quality of the image looks rather poor compared to doing the same operation
in a desktop application such as Jasc's Paint Shop Pro 6 or Adobe's
Photoshop. Typically an image is 200-600 pixels per side and gets resized
down to a width 130 with aspect ratio preserved. A typical format would be
24-bit JPEG.

I tried all three resize arguments: NEAREST, BILINEAR, or BICUBIC.

Is anyone aware of this problem and its status?

If not, then I can post sample images and code.

The reason this is important is that I'm automating some of the image
processing for a web site. However, if the automation results in lower
quality images than the manual process, it won't be accepted.

-Chuck