[Image-SIG] PIL is unable to identify TIFF image file

Larry Bates lbates@syscononline.com
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 11:52:45 -0500

I have some TIFF files that I wish to process using PIL.
Whenever I attempt to open the file with Image.open I
get the following traceback message.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "c:\python21\pythonwin\pywin\framework\scriptutils.py", line 301, in
RunScript
    exec codeObject in __main__.__dict__
  File "F:\phil\python\TIFF2JPG.py", line 78, in ?
    im=Image.open(os.path.join(inputpath,file+ext)).rotate(rotate)
  File "PIL\Image.py", line 960, in open
IOError: cannot identify image file

-------------------------
I can work with the file in Windows Imaging, PaintShop
Pro, PhotoShop, etc. so the image appears to be a OK.

If I open in PhotoShop and save, then the image can
be opened with PIL.  Any suggestions anyone?  I can
send the TIF file to you if you want.

Here is info from TIFFINFO program about the file:

F:\phil\junk>c:tiffinfo f:001008.tif
TIFF Directory at offset 0x8
  Subfile Type: (0 = 0x0)
  Image Width: 2469 Image Length: 3932
  Resolution: 800, 800 pixels/inch
  Bits/Sample: 4
  Compression Scheme: LZW
  Photometric Interpretation: min-is-black
  FillOrder: msb-to-lsb
  Artist: "1992 ACCUSOFT INC, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED"
  Date & Time: "11-24-1992"
  Orientation: row 0 top, col 0 lhs
  Samples/Pixel: 1
  Rows/Strip: 6
  Planar Configuration: single image plane

Thanks in advance,
Larry Bates