[Image-SIG] coretest build problem and kludge workaround

Eric Woudenberg eaw@connactivity.connactivity.com
Sun, 12 May 2002 20:06:19 -0400

Hi,

I've installed PIL 1.1.3 on FreeBSD Unix. Things went pretty well
(considering I barely read any documentation), except for these
hiccups:

1) I built my own jpeg6 and zlib but didn't know to indicate that on the
configure line (might be nice to put a note about that in the BUILDME file).

2) My configure line eventually looked like this:
./configure --with-jpeg=/home/eaw/local/lib --with-zlib=/home/eaw/local/lib
but still I got an error building coretest:
    gcc -o coretest coretest.o libImaging.a -lz -ljpeg  -lm
    /usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot find -ljpeg
    *** Error code 1
I had to add my library to the Makefile to get it to build:
  LIBS=           -L/home/eaw/local/lib -lz -ljpeg  -lm

However, even when the build of coretest failed, it still passed
Mini/tests.py fine.

In any case, thanks Fredrik!

Rick