[Image-SIG] PIL-based reference applications?

Ralf Juengling juenglin@informatik.uni-freiburg.de
14 May 2002 09:19:27 +0200

Hi all,

I'm considering using PIL in a summer school project in our department.
Since I couldn't find any image processing software on the web, that
is based on PIL (despite what is offered on pythonware.com), I wonder
whether PIL is mature and rich enough for projects that demand more=20
than creating thumbnails in small web projects.
Please don't get me wrong, I appreciate, that someone spends efforts=20
on providing image processing capabilities to the Python community.

Some of the demands in our image retrieval project are:
Creating thumbnails for some 10000 images, converting to a common
format, rendering text onto images, creating blobs for database=20
storage, extracting features (color/texture/shape). The latter point=20
is rather fuzzy, for "feature" is a broad and unspecific term in the
image processing domain, and I don't expect any image processing=20
library to serve all our needs. For the project we'll have to=20
implement a fairly amount of feature extraction code in C, if we=20
cannot do it with Python's Numeric. Thus, an easy and and fast
conversion from PIL images to Numeric arrays was a nice to have.

Are you aware of any larger image processing project, that is built
on PIL?

Regards,
Ralf

--=20
Ralf J=FCngling
Institut f=FCr Informatik - Lehrstuhl f=FCr Mustererkennung &
Bildverarbeitung
Georges-K=F6hler-Allee              =20
Geb=E4ude 52                                        Tel:
+49-(0)761-203-8215
79110 Freiburg                                    Fax:
+49-(0)761-203-8262