[Image-SIG] building pil-jpeg has no symbols

Calvin calvin@xmission.com
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 14:27:51 -0600 (MDT)

Just van Rossum provided the following tip to correct the problem of jpeg
not being built with make. :

>>Here is the error at the end of libImaging/make
>>
>>ranlib libImaging.a
>>ranlib: file: libImaging.a(Dib.o) has no symbols
>>ranlib: file: libImaging.a(JpegDecode.o) has no symbols
>>ranlib: file: libImaging.a(JpegEncode.o) has no symbols
>>gcc -o coretest coretest.o libImaging.a -lz  -lm

>I think I needed to fiddle with libImaging/ImConfig.h manually. Check
>whether it
>contains the following lines (and not #undef for HAVE_LIBJPEG):
>
>/* Define if you have the IJG jpeg library (-ljpeg).  */
>#define HAVE_LIBJPEG 1
>
>Just

I modified ImConfig.h too look like this:

/* Define if you have the IJG jpeg library (-ljpeg).  */
/* #undef HAVE_LIBJPEG */
#define HAVE_LIBJPEG 1

Make ran correctly but still gave this error:
ranlib: file: libImaging.a(Dib.o) has no symbols

I'm not sure what Dib.o relates too.  Regardless, after running python
setup.py build, and python setup.py install, jpeg is now usable in PIL.

Thank you Just.

-calvin