[Image-SIG] IOError: decoder group3 not available

D. Alan Stewart astewart@layton-graphics.com
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 13:11:32 -0400

 From what you've said it sounds like your TIFF has 1-bit per pixel
images compressed, Group 3/4 compressed. You would need to  decompress
 eash image, convert it to  8-bit per pixel grayscale (which will be 8
times the size of the original uncompressed image; RGB would be 24 times
the original size), and then JPG compress it. I doubt this will produce
a  compressed  image smaller than the Group 3 image you have now. The
PDF specification supports Group 3 image compression, why not just
transfer the compressed image as is to the PDF and not hassle with all
this? See section 3.3.5 of the 1.4 PDF Specification for a description
of the CCITTFaxDecode filter....