[Image-SIG] "classical" image processing

Alan Grosskurth alan.grosskurth at utoronto.ca
Wed Aug 6 20:08:02 EDT 2003

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 04:23:08PM +0100, Paul Brian wrote:
> Can anyone point me in the right direction for more information on analysing
> an image for the existence or non existence of objects in the image - such
> as blocks on a table or cars in a car park.  I understand this is mostly
> about edge analysis.

I think what you are talking about falls more under the field of
"computer vision" or "image understanding". I quick google search will
yield quite a bit of information. There are also many textbooks
written on the subject.

As far as libraries go, I have not seen much in the way of computer
vision for Python. The two libraries that I do know about are both
written in C++:

   Intel's Open Source Computer Vision Library
   http://www.intel.com/research/mrl/research/opencv/

   LTI-Lib
   http://ltilib.sourceforge.net/

> I am afraid this has cropped up recently and I am just interested in how
> difficult it really is.

I think this all depends on how much prior knowledge you have about
the structure of the image, and the shapes of the things you are
looking for.

--
Regards,
Alan