[Image-SIG] Storing tk canvas as PNG file...........

Suresh Kumar suresh_vsamy at rediffmail.com
Wed Jul 2 17:30:09 EDT 2003

Hi,
     Iam using python2.2/tkinter/windows. My doubt is regarding
how to convert tkiner canvas as a PNG file? I have drawn some
rectangles in my canvas. The canvas size is larger than the
screen.

    Initially i used  "ImageGrab"  to grab the entire canvas. But
the ImageGrab approach doesn't work in my case, since it copies
pixels from the display, i couldn't  able to grab the entire
canvas. To overcome this problem i used Postscript generation
mechanisms provided by the Canvas widget and coverted the canvas
to a postscript file. In this case i converted entire canvas into
a postscript file. The problem with Postscript format is, we need
Ghostscript viewer to view the Postcript image which we have to
install separately. Since most of the systems running under
Windows OS will have "Microsoft Photo Editor", it would be nice to
have a PNG file rather than PostScript file.

     Is there any way to store the entire canvas as a PNG file?
Otherwise how can i convert a postscript file to PNG or BMP file
in Python? Is it possible to convert postscript file to PNG file
in python? Anyother solution.......?

      I need the solution urgently. Earlier replies are welcome.

With Regards,
V.Suresh Kumar