[Image-SIG] Re: Imaging-1.1.4 on Cygwin (Re: Can PIL be installed under Cygwin?)

Jason Tishler jason at tishler.net
Tue Jun 3 12:58:33 EDT 2003

SUZUKI Hisao,

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 08:29:36AM +0900, SUZUKI Hisao wrote:
> In <20030602120330.GA2044 at tishler.net>, Jason Tishler wrote:
> > AFAICT, Chuck and your procedure (and patch) are essentially the
> > same.  The only extra steps that his one had are:
> >
> >     1. creating some missing symlinks
> >     2. rebasing the system to prevent the known Cygwin fork()
> >        problem
> >
> > Step 1 may have been obviated by the newer Cygwin Tcl/Tk packages
> > and Step 2 is likely necessary with your approach too.
>
> No, step 2 is not necessary with my approach.

OK, but if you use Cygwin Python, shared extensions, and fork(), then
you will need to rebase your DLLs sooner rather than later.

> The key difference is not to import _tkinter in my setup.py.

Oops, I missed that!  Anyway, that's cheating! :,)

BTW, rebasing is much easier now that I contributed the rebase package
to the standard Cygwin distribution:

    http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/rebase/rebase-2.2.README

Jason