[Image-SIG] Compilation problem on Mac OS X 10.2.8

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Nov 19 01:20:09 EST 2003

On Nov 18, 2003, at 11:33 PM, Nate Iverson wrote:

> I've compiled & installed python 2.3.2 (I need 2.3)
> (replaced python in /usr/bin/ with a symlink.

You may want to consider just using the official MacPython 2.3.0
distribution ( http://homepages.cwi.nl/~jack/macpython/index.html ),
there's a whole bunch of people using it (with all of the extensions
you list) successfully.  The official PackageManager repository has a
version of PIL that supposedly works with Fink's libjpeg.

You also may want to consider just turning Fink off.  I don't use Fink
(but have build libjpeg and freetype myself) and don't have these
problems.

Also don't replace stuff in /usr/bin, change your PATH.  Upgrading that
version of Python breaks OS X.  Well, not *really* in 10.2.x, but
10.3.x uses Python for some system scripts related to printing and
faxing that depend on the CoreGraphics module, which is not open source
and is not available for anything other than the stock 2.3.0.  It's
just not a bright idea to mess with anything in /usr (other than local)
or /System, those are Apple's directories and you should not touch them
(if you like your computer to work).

> Also installed numeric, PyObjC, and a few others.
> I'm having troubles installing the Imaging-1.1.4
> (or 1.1.3) from source.
>
> I have libjpeg & freetype installed by fink & followed
> the instructions in the readme about:
>
> LDFLAGS="-L/sw/lib" CPPFLAGS="-I/sw/lib" ./configure
>
> and
>
> JPEGINCLUDE=    /sw/include/
>

> The first errors I run into follow in the make:
>
> gcc -o coretest coretest.o libImaging.a -lz -ljpeg
> -lm
> ld: can't locate file for: -ljpeg
> make: *** [coretest] Error 1

It's not picking up those LDFLAGS.. maybe you have a cached configure
or something?  Try removing config.cache.  My jpeg and freetype live in
/usr/local and it finds them without having to specify any of the
environment variables that you mention.

> In a similar fashion I get failure from
>
> python setup.py build
>
> building '_imagingtk' extension

Do you even need this?  It's probably possible to get it to work (at
least with tcltkaqua), but it never seemed worthwhile.

-bob