[Image-SIG] Compilation problem on Mac OS X 10.2.8

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Nov 19 10:07:52 EST 2003

On Nov 19, 2003, at 9:52 AM, Nate Iverson wrote:

>> You may want to consider just using the official
>> MacPython 2.3.0
>
> My eventual goal is to install the pygame package. I
> tried the MacPython installer and could install all
> the prerequisites.. but for some reason the new pygame
> (in the non-official list) requires the 10.3
> installation of python. I poked around a little but
> couldn't find an upgrade from apple. I also tried some
> older / different install lists but things still
> didn't seem to be working correctly.

That's actually my list.  Sorry, I don't run 10.2 or support it
anymore.  You can try installing all the pygame dependencies from my
old list, and then compile pygame yourself.  There's not a whole lot of
difference between pygame 1.5.6 and 1.6 anyways, so that's always an
option.

>> Also don't replace stuff in /usr/bin, change your
>> PATH.  Upgrading that
>> version of Python breaks OS X.
>
> I was a little careful here i only replaced:
> /usr/bin/python
> which was hard linked to:
> /usr/bin/python2.2
> So I can go back to using apples python if i have
> problems. Maybe i'm having trouble because the install
>
> is looking for the wrong libraries for my python.
> I'll try compiling with python pointed at my binary
> rather than the link.

I doubt that's your problem.  Either way, it doesn't matter if you're
careful or not, unless you work for Apple you are never ever supposed
to touch /usr or /System.

>>> I have libjpeg & freetype installed by fink &
>> followed
>>> the instructions in the readme about:
>>>
>>> LDFLAGS="-L/sw/lib" CPPFLAGS="-I/sw/lib"
>> ./configure
>>>
>>> and
>>>
>>> JPEGINCLUDE=    /sw/include/
>>>

>>> The first errors I run into follow in the make:
>>>
>>> gcc -o coretest coretest.o libImaging.a -lz -ljpeg
>>> -lm
>>> ld: can't locate file for: -ljpeg
>>> make: *** [coretest] Error 1
>>
>> It's not picking up those LDFLAGS.. maybe you have a
>> cached configure
>> or something?  Try removing config.cache.
>
> I'm pretty sure i removed config.cache but I'll make
> sure I do that on my next try. Think it's possible
> that
> this is related to apple's other linking problems
> like -no-cpp-precomp?

Nope, it's not in any way related (-no-cpp-precomp isn't a linker
option anyway).

-bob