[Image-SIG] Floating-point (color) TIFF

Tom Bridgman bridgman at wyeth.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Sep 11 11:05:59 EDT 2003

We also would have some interest in this format as well.

>From my explorations into TiffImagePlugin.py yesterday, I'm wondering
whether the structure is sufficiently modular that just defining some
MODE might 'just work'.

There is also a _MODEINFO entry in Image.py that seems to do fundamental
definitions of things like RGB, RGBA, etc.  For example, for 3,4-channel
FP TIFFs, would a _MODEINFO entry of

"RGB;F32":("RGB","F",("R","G","B"))
"RGBA;F32:("RGBA","F",("R","G","B","A"))

(Perhaps others for handling different endian issues?)

and appropriate entries in OPEN_INFO and SAVE_INFO in TiffImagePlugin.py
just call the appropriate modules already in PIL?  Comments are sorely
lacking in some parts of this code so I'm not clear on the precise
calling sequence or overall structure.  "Writing your own file decoder"
in the handbook is some help for a general decoder, but doesn't
enlighten too much on the tiff-specific code.

I don't currently have a floating-point TIFF to test this on.

Just some thinking-out-loud.  Caveat Emptor.

Tom