[Image-SIG] [bug report] loading PNG with PIL 1.1.4 under python 2.3

Ulrich Callmeier uc at dfki.de
Wed Sep 17 08:15:31 EDT 2003

Hi,

when loading a certain PNG file with PIL 1.1.4 under python 2.3 (Linux),
I get an error as soon as the library tries to load the image. This also
happens when I trigger the load() explicitely. I suspect it might be due
to the fact that it's an interlaced PNG file. Does anyone have an idea
on how to fix this? The problematic image file is at
http://www.dfki.de/~crysmann/bc.png. Here's a log of what happens:

Python 2.3 (#1, Aug 20 2003, 15:16:14)
[GCC 3.2.2] on linux2
>>> import Image
>>> print Image.VERSION
1.1.4
>>> im = Image.open("bc.png")
>>> im.load()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File
"/project/cl/deepthought/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/PIL/ImageFile
.py", line 192, in load
    raise IOError(error + " when reading image file")
IOError: unknown error when reading image file
>>> print im.info
{'interlace': 1, 'gamma': 0.45455000000000001}
>>> print im.mode
>>> print im.format
PNG

Thanks for any hints,