[Image-SIG] PIL problem

Thomas Clive Richards thomi at thomi.imail.net.nz
Sun Aug 15 10:09:49 CEST 2004

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 4:41 pm, Thomas Clive Richards wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I'm trying to make a quick script which generates thumbnails for a website.
> However, I can't get the thumbnail() method to work with PNG files.

I've discovered further problems when I tried to do this manually. For
example:

thomi at Julie:/tmp/pics$ python2.2
Python 2.2.3+ (#1, Feb 25 2004, 23:29:31)
[GCC 3.3.3 (Debian)] on linux2
>>> import Image
>>> im = Image.open('title.png')
>>> im.verify()
>>> im2 = im.copy()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/PIL/Image.py", line 630, in copy
    self.load()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/PIL/ImageFile.py", line 166, in load
    self.load_seek(o)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/PIL/ImageFile.py", line 217, in
load_seek
    self.fp.seek(pos)
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'seek'

That doesn't seem right...

I get similar error messages when trying to perform any operations on PNG
files.

I also tried converting it to a BMP before performing any operations, but that
throws an error also.

There *must* be a fix for this.. surely someone else has come across this
problem?

Also, is this package dead? I remember a time when this was one of the most
active mailing lists I was subscribed to, now it seems like I'm the only one
alive...

--

Thomi Richards,
thomi at once.net.nz