[Image-SIG] PIL problem

Thomas Clive Richards thomi at thomi.imail.net.nz
Sun Aug 15 12:58:55 CEST 2004

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 9:05 pm, rjkimble at comcast.net wrote:
> Here's a curiosity. I played around with your example using my AlphaPC
> running Debian. I get the same results as you with both Python 2.2 and 2.3.
> However, I noticed a trick. I have no idea what's going on, but maybe it's
> a workaround.

hmm... Not sure what you mean by this. WHen I try it:

Python 2.2.3+ (#1, Feb 25 2004, 23:29:31)
[GCC 3.3.3 (Debian)] on linux2
>>> import Image
>>> im = Image.open('title.png')
>>> im2 = im.copy()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/PIL/Image.py", line 630, in copy
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/PIL/ImageFile.py", line 192, in load
    raise IOError(error + " when reading image file")
IOError: unknown error when reading image file

The file still exists, permissions seem to be okay...

interesting huh?

I probably should have mentioned earlier that this script is running on a lean
server - imagemagick and other utilities I might be able to use aren't

Thanks for the help, I'll see if anyone has any thoughts on this subject over
the next week or so...

Thomi Richards,
thomi at once.net.nz