[Image-SIG] Re: compiling py2exe windows executable gives "IOerror image type not recognized" in the Image.open()

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Fri Aug 20 13:40:12 CEST 2004

"francesco" wrote:

> when compiling a windows executable with python 2.3 using the py2exe utility my application cannot
> access the Image.open function in the PIL library because it says "IOError: cannot identify image
> file".
>
> Does anybody have an idea why?

google could have explained this to you in seconds:

PIL scans the Python path for image plugins (*ImagePlugin files).

to make sure that PY2EXE finds the image plugins you need, you must
explicitly import them from your main program.  for examples, see:

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2003-December/199226.html
    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2003-December/199237.html

this is also mentioned (twice!) on the PY2EXE home page; both entries
point to this page:

    http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/moin.cgi/PIL_20and_20py2exe