[Image-SIG] Re: A small thing with PIL and the tk and tcl libraries.

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Wed Dec 8 18:26:22 CET 2004

BJörn Lindqvist wrote:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "test1.py", line 15, in ?
>    app = App()
>  File "test1.py", line 11, in __init__
>    self.pi.paste(im)
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/PIL/ImageTk.py", line 179, in paste
>    import _imagingtk
> ImportError: libtcl8.3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory
>
> But I have libtcl8.4.so in /usr/lib. I fixed it by making a symlink to
> libtcl8.3.so. Minor inconvenience but annoying. :)

the PIL build scripts get the Tcl/Tk version numbers from the Tkinter you
have when building PIL.  If your PIL requires 8.3, whoever built it for you
was using 8.3 at the time...

(alternatively, if you build older versions of PIL using the Makefile.pre.in
approach, it's up to you to fix the Setup.in file so it matches your config)