[Image-SIG] Compiling PIL for 2.4

Voidspace mike at pcblokes.com
Mon Dec 13 09:39:45 CET 2004

I've just upgraded to Python 2.4. I've installed the free microsoft
optimising compiler and hacked distutils to use it - following the
instructions from http://www.vrplumber.com/programming/mstoolkit/ . It
works great and I've built a windows installer for PyCrypto 2.0.

I'm attempting to compile PIL for python 2.4. The build instructions for
windows say :

     If you're using Python 2.0 or later, you can use the setup.py script
    to build the library.  The following commands should do the trick:

            $ python setup.py build
            $ python setup.py install

    You may need to tweak the setup.py file somewhat in order to make it
    find certain external libraries; see comments in the file for details.

Right - so you actually need to *get* the zlib and jpeg libraries, which
I've done. I've not yet got the right header/include files for Tkinter,
but it should work without them (just not build those files). Except it
bombs out :
C:\compile\Imaging-1.1.4\PIL>cd /D C:\compile\Imaging-1.1.4

C:\compile\Imaging-1.1.4>setup.py build
*** Cannot find Tcl/Tk headers and library files.
*** To build the Tkinter interface, set the TCLROOT
*** variable in the setup.py file.
running build
running build_py
running build_ext
building '_imaging' extension
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003\bin\link.exe /DLL
/nologo /INCREMENTAL:NO /LIBPATH:libImaging /
LIBPATH:jpeg-6b /LIBPATH:zlib /LIBPATH:C:\Python24\libs
/LIBPATH:C:\Python24\PCBuild Imaging.lib jpeg.lib zlib.lib
kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib /EXPORT:init_imaging
build\temp.win32-2.4\Release\_imaging.obj build\temp.win32
-2.4\Release\decode.obj build\temp.win32-2.4\Release\encode.obj
build\temp.win32-2.4\Release\map.obj build\temp.wi
n32-2.4\Release\display.obj build\temp.win32-2.4\Release\outline.obj
build\temp.win32-2.4\Release\path.obj /OUT:bu
LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'Imaging.lib'
error: command '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit
2003\bin\link.exe"' failed with exit status 1181

_imaging.obj is being created - but not linked. I can't find an
Imaging.lib file anywhere. Anyone got any clues for me ?

The Place where headspace meets cyberspace. Online resource site - covering science, technology, computing, cyberpunk, psychology, spirituality,
fiction and more.

Python utilities, modules and apps.
Including Nanagram, Dirwatcher and more.

Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow talent
to the dark place where it leads. -Erica Jong
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy.
         -Milan Kundera