[Image-SIG] Re: PIL's configure bug -- from 2002

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Feb 25 16:08:09 EST 2004

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> Terry Hancock wrote:
>>  This violates published standards for both "free
>>software" and "open source software" definitions (generated
>>intermediate files are not "source code").  Surely it does so
>>accidentally, right?
>

> Hint: with that attitude, it's very easy to ignore you.

To try to help prevent this from turning personal:

As a total outsider, yes, Terry's tone in his most recent post was
pretty snide. In fact, there was a bit of a critical tone to the first
post as well (problem from 2002). However, the facts in his earlier
posts can be boiled down to:

"""
I found what I think is a bug in your software that I think I know how
to fix. If you tell me how to get the source, I will try to fix it, and
report back what I have found, and give you a patch if I think I've
fixed it.
"""

Why would an open source maintainer have any other reaction than:

"here's the source, let me know what you've figured out"

We all know that tone is very tricky with email...I try to ignore it and
  try to figure out what people are really asking of me. All Terry is
really asking is the configure.in file.

This would be very different if he was asking anyone else to fix his pet
bug.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov