[Image-SIG] Manipulating JPEGs w/out decompressing?

Chris Cogdon chris at cogdon.org
Mon Jan 26 14:45:50 EST 2004

On Jan 26, 2004, at 09:54, Chris Barker wrote:

> My understanding of JPEG compression is that if you compress and
> de-compress multiple times, more information is lost each time. If I
> understand this right, it seems a shame to degrade an image just to
> rotate or crop it.

The way that I understand JPEG is that the encoding for any particular
pixel depends on 'state' that is set up from the previous pixels. In
other words, if you were to crop off 1 or 2 pixels at the left hand
side of the image, all the following pixels MUST be re-encoded... which
means you get the re-compression that you were trying to avoid.

Doubly so for rotations.

In my view, JPEG images were never intended to be re-edited.

--
    ("`-/")_.-'"``-._        Chris Cogdon <chris at cogdon.org>