[Image-SIG] Problem with PNGs generated by dvi2bitmap

Kevin D. Smith Kevin.Smith at sas.com
Thu Mar 25 21:35:11 EST 2004

I am using PIL 1.1.4 with Python 2.3 on both OS X and FreeBSD.  I am
trying to process PNG images created by dvi2bitmap
(http://www.astro.gla.ac.uk/users/norman/star/dvi2bitmap/).  These
images work fine in web browsers and image editors, but if I try to
open one with PIL I get the following error.  I've attached a sample
image that has this problem.

Python 2.3 (#1, Sep 13 2003, 00:49:11)
[GCC 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1495)] on darwin
 >>> import Image
 >>> im = Image.open('eqn-0000.png')
 >>> im.load()
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
   File
"/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/
python2.3/site-packages/PIL/ImageFile.py", line 192, in load
     raise IOError(error + " when reading image file")
IOError: unknown error when reading image file