[Image-SIG] cannot identify .psd image

Terry Kerr terry at bizarsoftware.com.au
Wed Nov 10 07:09:26 CET 2004

Hi,

I have just upgraded our application from python2.1.3/PIL 1.1.2 to
python2.3.4/PIL 1.1.4 on linux, and discovered a problem with particular
PSD files.

Image.open('product2327_image.psd')
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/PIL/Image.py", line
1571, in open
     raise IOError("cannot identify image file")
IOError: cannot identify image file

I didn't create the files...they are created by our customers.  You can
download an example of a broken image from the link below...sorry its
over 1.5meg!

http://bigboy.bizarsoftware.com.au/~tejay/product2327_image.psd

 From what I can gather with experimentation, the problem is that it has
an adjustment layer with a mask.  If I remove this layer and mask,
resave the image, then open with PIL, it works fine.

I found this old archived email from what looks like to be a similar
problem, but with no response?

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/image-sig/2001-October/001632.html

Is this a bug?

terry