[Image-SIG] ValueError: unrecognized mode

Nickolas Raterman raterman at geology.ucdavis.edu
Wed Aug 24 22:06:25 CEST 2005

Hello,

     I am trying to follow the instructions for "Writing you own file
decoder" in the PIL Handbook.  The file I wish to import is in 16 bit
little endian unsigned int and has a 128 byte header at the beginning
of the file (just like in the example).

After writting the decoder and placing it in the proper directory I
can open the file with the Image.open method but then the load method
fails with the ValueError: unrecognized mode

However, I am using the mode indicated for my file format

Below is a copy of my interactive session where I tried to load the
file:

Python 2.4.1 (#1, Aug 24 2005, 11:19:07)
[GCC 4.0.0 20041026 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 4061)] on darwin
 >>> import Image
 >>> im = Image.open("recobj_250.sdtt")
 >>>
 >>> im.mode
'F;16'
 >>> im.load()
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/PIL/ImageFile.py",
line 155, in load
     self.load_prepare()
   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/PIL/ImageFile.py",
line 221, in load_prepare
     self.im = Image.core.new(self.mode, self.size)
ValueError: unrecognized mode

I have also attached a copy of my plug-in file.  Thanks in advance
for any help