[Image-SIG] modes in Image package

Bob Klimek klimek at grc.nasa.gov
Fri Aug 26 15:54:28 CEST 2005

Victor Reijs wrote:

>Do I understand that a tif file can be 3*16 bits (my knowledge of file
>format is not that good)?

Yes. Many, if not most scanners output in 48-bit color. Many of the
better digital cameras output in 12-bits per plane. And most medical
imaging is greater than 8-bits per plane.

>But say I start with a jpg file of 3*8 bits (e.g. most cameras only can
>handle 8 bit band depth).
>Can I now translate my 8*3-bit JPG into 16*3 bit TIF in PIL, then use
>split, 'function on each band', merge, matrix convert and 'function on
>all bands' and translate to from 16*3 TIF to 8*3 bit JPG?

That's what I'm trying to find out. So far my attempts to read in a
48-bit image into PIL have failed. But that doesn't mean that it can't
be done.