[Image-SIG] Crash during make step of installing image library. HELP!!

Wes Fraser wesley.fraser at nrc.ca
Fri Jan 14 20:56:13 CET 2005

I am having some issues installing PIL with jpeg support onto my
machine. I am running mac os x 10.3 with python 2.3. I have the factory
install of python and have tried it with custom installs of 2.3.4 with
no success.

  I have installed libjpeg from source and have tried it with the fink
install and have not been able to make either work.

  IFollowing the instructions on

  http://plone.org/documentation-old/howto/InstallPILOnMacOSX

  and after installing libjpeg with fink

  In Imaging-1.1.3/libImaging do a

  $LDFLAGS="-L/sw/lib"; CPPFLAGS="-l/sw/lib";  ./configure

  then do a

  $ make

  at this point I get the warning:

  ranlib: file: libImaging.a(Dib.o) has no symbols

  The web page says to ignore this and continue.

  So I then do

  cd ..

  python setup.py build

  and it crashes with the following error:

  Tk/tkImaging.c:198: warning: passing arg 3 of `Tcl_CreateCommand' from
incompatible pointer type

  gcc -Wl,-F. -bundle -framework Python
build/temp.darwin-7.7.0-Power_Macintosh-2.3/_imagingtk.o
build/temp.darwin-7.7.0-Power_Macintosh-2.3/Tk/tkImaging.o -LlibImaging
-lImaging -o build/lib.darwin-7.7.0-Power_Macintosh-2.3/_imagingtk.so

  ld: Undefined symbols:

  _Tcl_AppendResult

  _Tcl_CreateCommand

  _Tk_FindPhoto

  _Tk_PhotoBlank

  _Tk_PhotoPutBlock_NoComposite

  Can you guys help me out at all? I have no idea why this went wrong
but it is sure driving me nutz.

  Thanks

  Wes