[Image-SIG] seed fill in PIL

Bob Klimek klimek at grc.nasa.gov
Tue Jul 26 16:25:48 CEST 2005

William Baxter wrote:

>Does anyone know of a seed fill program for PIL? That is, given a seed
>x,y, it paints all pixels the same color up to a threshold/boundary.

See the attached zip file. It's only 11 KB long so hopefully nobody will
complain. Look under the section labelled "Morphological functions".
There is a function named "floodFill". Interspersed in the code are a
few calls to "wx.wxGetApp().Yield()". Just comment those out. They are
part of wxPython which prevent the GUI from freezing up during a
long-running loop.

>More generally, are there public collections of image processing
>routines using PIL anywhere on the web?

I'm not aware of one single location but it would be nice. Since you're
asking, this is why I decided to attach my whole PIL imaging file
instead just the part you need. Maybe you can find other useful goodies...

Take Care,
Bob