[Image-SIG] setup.py and automaticly detecting freetype2

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Mon May 16 20:48:04 CEST 2005

The setup.py in Imageing-1.1.5 tries to autodetect if, and which,
freetype is installed. This fails to consider the --include-dirs
command-line option.

I've freetype2 (as well as libjpeg and libtiff) installed in /opt/
local, which is not on the default search-path of distutils. Hence I
built the extensions using::

    python setup.py build_ext --include-dirs=/opt/local/include --

This works for the detection of libjpeg and libtiff because that code
looks at the library path of self.compiler. The freetype
configuration code also tries to find the freetype2 include-file.
This only looks at a path that's hardcoded in setup.py, and ignores
the include-path of self.compiler. IMHO this code should
look at self.compiler.include_dirs instead of just include_dirs
(setup.py around line 216)